The love and respect of the noble art starts here.
The Sparring Session That Led to a GRUDGE Match
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
-
So Chris Eubank Jr. has signed to fight James Degale…….and my first question is, “why?” What does it do for both men? Chris is an excellent middleweight, but he’s not a supermiddle, so why fight James? If Chris is banking on James being a ‘shot’ fighter, what happens if he wins? Is he then going to try to make a claim for the title? James gave up his title because he wanted to look for money making fights, Callum Smith and Gilberto Ramirez are way too big for the naturally much smaller Eubank Jr. Will he chase a fight with the incredible Canelo Alverez? Maybe, but (pssst) Canelo isn’t really a world champion at supermiddle.
Surely Eubank is better served at his natural weight of middleweight? He has a natural fight there and a score to settle with Billy Joe Saunders? What about tackling the highly respect Danny Jacobs or testing his chin against the powerful David Lemieux? There’s so many sexy fights to be made at middleweight for Eubank. Sadly Chris missed out on battling Martin Murray, a man that should have been a deserved world champion. After his recent loss the St. Helens man decided it was too big of climb to box his way into the rankings. We’ll see if this retirement sticks, they usually take a few attempts before a retirement is finally achieved.
Eubank is so flashy in the ring, but has fallen short a couple times. According to Ronnie Davis on IFL TV, Eubank doesn’t listen to anyone during his training or during the fight. It’s ok being your own man, but to not take advice is ridiculous. They tried with Adam Booth and Chris wouldn’t listen, so Adam moved on. They now have Nate Vasquez. Will he listen to this mystery man? His track record suggests he won't. When interviewed by Seconds-out.com, they asked Ronnie Davis, “What will you have to do to make Chris listen to Nate Vasquez?” Ronnie replied “I don’t know. He’s hard work, ain't he?” He continued “I just suggest things to him and walk away, he’s a rebel.” He’s something, I don’t know if I’d call him a rebel?
I wonder if this is all a show? Is it purely for the cameras? The Brits love a good pantomime. is this a pantomime? Not sure if it is? I’m not trying to slander Juniors character here, I don’t know the man. I just see such athletic ability and some good skills. I used to be a fan of his dads, that took a long time to develop. I first attended Chris Eubank Sr. V Michael Watson at the Earls Court, London 1991. I was a massive Watson fan. I’d screamed the place down when Michael beat the Dark Destroyer Nigel Benn. Everyone in my gym said I was deluded to pick Watson over Benn and I gloated in my win.
I was ringside at Earls Court when Michael Watson leaped into the air after 12 cagey rounds with Eubank Sr. The feeling inside my body was of elation, Michael was the middleweight champion of the world. However, once the score cards were read out and Eubank was declared a split decision winner, I was deflated beyond belief. I swore I’d never go to another boxing match again and had a firm grudge against Eubank Sr.
The public outcry was loud and in force. Eubank S.r had no option but to give Michael his rematch. My boycott of boxing matches lasted that long. I was there with my ringside seat in September 1991, at White Hart Lane, London. I was waiting for Michael to lift the belt from Chris Eubank. The rematch was a classic, Watson was inspired and dominated Eubank from round 1 to round 11. The fans (myself included) chanted “Watson, Watson,” over and over again. There’s no atmosphere like a York Hall atmosphere but this pushed it close. Towards the end of round 11, Eubank could take no more and collapsed to his knees. I screamed and danced. I couldn’t believe it when Eubank rose to his feet and was ready to engage again. Watson stepped forward with his hands cupped against his ears to deflect one of Eubanks awkward overhand punches. However, Chris instead threw an uppercut and Watson, standing square on, fell back and his neck hitting the bottom rope.
Little did we know, Michael had begun to suffer a brain bleed. Michael made it back to his corner and was stopped early in the next round. Not only was I deflated but the riot at ringside was horrific, as riots at British fights can be. The riot, together with confusion over which hospital to take him to, cost Michael essential minutes for surgery. Michael lay in a coma for 4 weeks, it looked grim. The Sun Newspaper offered fans a service to call and leave voice messages for Michael.
The following week I was backpacking around Europe for a month and while visiting the various churches lit candles for Michael. These included the Vatican, Sacre- Coeur, Notre-Dame. I lit candles in Berlin, Switzerland, Austria, Prague, Paris, Venice, Rome, and Holland. Michael meant that much to me.
Many months later, I was about to fly to the USA to work at a summer camp and bumped into boxing advisor Ambrose Mendy. Ambrose said that Michael was down and felt forgotten. When at the camp, I got 250 people to make get well cards for Michael and mailed them to him. Not only that, I travelled 9,000 miles from city to city. Each city I arrived at I mailed Michael a postcard. Strangely enough, I was at the Herbie Hide V Michael X Bennt fight. After the fight I was waiting for a ride back to the hotel. I saw Michael sat in a wheelchair. Sadly, I was so overwhelmed by seeing my hero that I couldn’t bring myself to go over.
I remember developing further my grudge against Chris Eubank Sr. and he played the bad guy image well. I was in town for a Naseem Hamed fight in Manchester, England. Chris was moving up 2 weight divisions to fight the powerful Carl Thompson. I was staying in the Midland Hotel as a guest of HBO. I left my room one morning and bumped into Chris dressed only in his boxers and a T-shirt. He was staying in the next room. We got to talking and what a positive impression this man left with me. We discussed his fight tactics for the fight that night. I disagreed with his plan, yet he still respected mine. That night Chris stole the show. His bravery against a much larger man was impressive. Many of the fans wanted Chris to lose as is the tradition, yet he was cheered out of the ring. It’s one of the best fights I’ve ever seen live. Back to the Degale fight. Eubank Jr. has been talking about James being used-up and broken. Looking at James Degale’s recent fights, there certainly is a drop in his ability. He recently lost to Caleb Truax and didn’t look overly impressive winning the rematch. I suggest that Chris Eubank Jr. is better than Truax. However a couple fights before the Truax fight, Degale drew with the excellent Badou Jack. That draw is highly impressive. I also enjoyed his wins over Lucian Bute, and Andre Dirrell, however, these fights were in 2015. Since 2015 Degale has been struggling to overcome various injuries to his hips and shoulder. These involved extensive surgeries.
Looking at the resumes of both fighters there’s no doubting that Degale’s is far more impressive and extensive. Degale’s beaten people like Truax, Bute, Dirrell, Preiban and Paul Smith and an Olympic Gold Medal.
Eubank Jr. fought and lost to his two world class opponents in George Groves and Billy Joe Saunders. Chris does have a good win over Nick Blackwell. The outcome of that fight was tragic with Blackwell needing surgery for a brain bleed. Junior also has a win over a faded Arthur Abraham and fringe contenders Gary O’Sullivan and Dmitry Chudinov.
The lead up to this fight on February 23rd, 2019 is going to be nasty. Both have a history together through their sparring sessions. Chris claims to have bossed DeGale and Degale believes he bossed Eubank. This has caused a few years of back and forth nasty jibes at each other.
For most fights to sell, there needs to be a history to draw on, and one man needs to be the bad guy and the other guy needs to be the good guy. In this fight, Chris Eubank has chosen to be the bad guy and is going to be nasty and condescending in the coming weeks. He’s already talking of beating James up in sparring and how James is a broken down fighter that will need to retire after this fight.
Ok, finally, my prediction. I’m siding with Chris Eubank Junior. If this fight had been in 2015 it’s a no brainer, Degale wins, too skilled, too mobile, too seasoned, too big. However, this isn’t 2015, it’s 2019 and James Degale has so many miles on the clock and he’s showing a loss of form. I feel that Eubank will outwork Degale over 12 rounds. He’ll use his high workrate and fast flurries to catch the judges eyes. I think for the first 3-4 rounds Degale will be able to match Eubank, yet as we head into the championship rounds Eubanks youth, speed and inner steel will allow him to pull ahead. It may be controversial, yet I see Eubank having his hand raised after 12 high paced rounds.
If Eubank does win, I see Degale fading from the fight calendar. Chris will then need to decide what he needs to do next? What’s his target going to be? Is he moving down to his natural weight of middleweight or will he give up size advantages to people like Callum Smith the Ring Magazine and WBA Supermiddleweight Champion?
IF, Chris Eubank wins this ITV fight, I’d like him to move back down to middleweight and take on the likes of Billy Joe Saunders on a Frank Warren promoted show or maybe take on the silky smooth WBO champion Demetrius Andrade on an Eddie Hearn Sky Tv promoted fight. There’s so many options for Chris to make money in the UK at the moment. All he needs to do is win this next fight. As I said earlier, what started as a resentment towards his legendary father, turned into love and admiration. I feel this way towards Junior, he’s a talented boxer with so much to offer. Just let us know when you are ready Chris.
IF James Degale wins, I can see him in a Callum Smith title fight at his natural weight. James beat Callum’s brother Paul, so this could be promoted as revenge. Or, I can see James boxing his biggest rival the excellent George Groves.
2019 could be an outstanding year for either James or Chris and to think this fight only came about over a mythical sparring session. Buckle-up this is going to be an intense lead-up to the fight. I’m excited…..are you?
Earnie Shavers – the hardest puncher of all time! George Foreman – before a Lennox Lewis fight in London Lennox Lewis – After fight party. Lewis had just beaten Tony TNT Tucker in Las Vegas British heavyweight champ – Horice Notice – at the Thomas a Becket gym in London’s eastend Hector Camacho training. Jim Watt – World lightweight champion. Close friend Harold Lederman Chris Eubank snr – before he fought Carl Thompson Chris Eubank weighing in. Rocky Milton just before we head to his title fight. Glen McCrory – Cruiserweight champ. Glen had fought the previous day against Mark Young. Glen McCrory – Cruiserweight champ Glen McCrory walking to the ring. Derek “Sweet D” Williams – Commonwealth Heavyweight champ at the gym. Thomas a Beckett – Great boxing gym Lightmiddle title challenged. Adrian Dodson Angelo Dundee Clones Cyclone – Barry McGuigan Mike Tyson manager – Bill Cayton Lightheavy and cruiserweight champ – Bobby Cyz Boxing in New York Barrow Amateur Boxing...
Comments
Post a Comment